Friday, July 29, 2011

Satan or God?

Is it satan or is it God? Sometimes it is hard to tell the difference when things are falling down around you, isn’t it? I came to the beach for a few days for a period of refocusing my heart on Jesus and refueling my Spirit. I left my children at home doing fun activities in the very capable hands of my husband. I was ready for a spiritual awakening only to get my spirit crushed by a phone call from Stuart saying that Weasley (the cat) was beyond extremely sick and he was taking him to the vet emergency room.

Weasley has been diabetic since Christmas and with the amount of insulin he was on, I knew he wouldn’t live long. But, now?! Really?! I am 6+ hours away!! So I ask myself, is this satan trying to crush me and not let me do what I came for, or is it God protecting me from having to see my kitty in such a terrible condition? The girls are at a teen girl retreat….is God protecting them too?

When the tornadoes came through Alabama…you would hear people say “God put His arms around us and saved us”. Does that mean that He took the lives of the family down the street? Or was that Satan? Like I said, sometimes it is hard to tell! All I know is that while terrible things were going on in my home, things that I am so grateful that my incredibly strong and capable husband was taking care of, I was getting texts from 3 different people telling me what an “awesome” and “great” job that Amber was doing. One text said that she has “seen Amber’s gift…teaching”. What a blessing those texts were!!

Stuart had to make the difficult decision to have Weasley put to sleep. He said that it was really no decision at all because of his state…it was the humane thing to do. I’m glad he was there…taking care of his family. I’m sad he will have to deliver the terrible news to the girls alone tomorrow because I won’t be home until Tuesday, but he is a kind and compassionate man and he will comfort them. As will their Father in heaven.

So, was all of this satan or God? It is hard to tell, but I know that “all things work for good for those that love the Lord”. I love the Lord, so these 3 things I know:

1. I know He is sad because I am sad that my kitty is gone.
2. I know He will be sad for my girls tomorrow.
3. I know that he has crushed satan and is fully in control of everything in my life, even my kitty dying.

In the end, it doesn’t matter if I try to analyze things to figure out if it was satan or God. Satan is real and attacking, but God is real and victorious. And that is all that matters.

1 comment:

Kay said...

Reading this made me think of Isaiah 55:9 "As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts." There are some things we really just can't fully know, but I love your last line about God always being victorious. We can definitely trust in that. :)

I'm so sorry about your kitty!! :(