Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Busy, Busy Day!

Tuesday is usually the only day that I do not have anything to do except work and carpool. Today was not such a day. It all started this morning when I decided I needed to take Erin to the doctor. She has been coughing for 3 weeks (since the pig flu). The past several days she has had a difficult time breathing when she does normal activities, like walking up stairs. I had a 10:00 appointment and did not see the doctor until 11:15. I was quite irritated! Anyway, she was wheezing a bit, so they wanted to get a chest x-ray. It came back clean, but they gave her an inhaler to use for 2 days. After taking her back to school, going back to work, and picking up Amber, it was the cats' turn to go to the vet. Weasley goes out every morning, but always comes home when we get home in the afternoon. Today was such a gorgeous day that he decided not to come home, so I had to make him another appointment. I did go ahead and take Dexter because he has been acting weird lately. Turns out he is allergic to flea bites. So, after a cortisone shot and $92 worth of other shots, I finally get to head home for good.

It is days like these that I am glad for Publix Apron's. For those who do not have a Publix, the store has a demonstration booth where they cook simple recipes and give you recipe cards for you to cook at home. They are generally quick and easy recipes. Tonight I cooked Taco Nacho Rice and Marinated Corn Salad. YUMMY! This is about the third time that I have cooked it, and everybody likes it. So, for those of you who do not have access to a Publix, here are the recipes:

Taco Nacho Rice

8 oz. fresh diced onions
1 1/2 lb ground beef
1 T. taco seasoning
1 (5.4 oz) package taco-flavored rice and pasta blend
1 3/4 cups water
2 cups Tostitos (about 5 oz)
1 (8 oz.) jar taco sauce
1 1/2 c. shredded Mexican-blend cheese

1. Preheat large saute/ pan on medium-high 2-3 minutes. Place onions and ground beef in pan and cook until no longer pink. Drain. Add taco seasoning mix.

2. Stir in rice blend and water. Reduce heat to medium; cover and cook 7 minutes.

3. Remove pan from heat; fluff rice with fork. Arrange chips over rice in pan. Drizzle taco sauce over chips, then top with cheese. Cover and let stand 5 minutes or until cheese begins to melt. Serve. (Makes 6 servings)

I use the rest of the bag of Tostitos as a side because the chips you put on top of the dish get soggy from the steam.


Marinated Corn Salad

1 (16 oz.) pkg. frozen whole kernel corn
3-4 green onions
1 (15 oz.) can black beans (drained and rinsed)
8 oz. fresh pre-diced tomatoes (1 1/2 cups)
1/2 cup mojo marinade (should be with the steak marinades in your local grocery store)
1 T. Honey

1. Thaw corn in colander under cool running water 2-3 minutes; drain thoroughly and place in medium bowl.

2. Slice green onions thinly; add to corn. Stir in remaining ingredients; let stand 10 minutes for flavors to blend. Stir and serve.


Both dishes are very quick and tasty!!

No comments: